Initial Thoughts on 2020-2021 School Year and Options for Parent Input
Work on the reopening of school for the 2020-2021 school year at LCS has been underway for several weeks. While state “guidance” and various opinions of what school might look like during the 2020-2021 school year are many (and change regularly), LCS has established the following assumptions and guiding principles for its planning process:
Reopening Plan Assumptions
- Coronavirus will be prevalent in society at the onset of the 2020-2021 school year;
- State and local mandates will be in place of which schools will be required to follow;
- The manner in which the district provides for the educational, socio emotional, and physical needs of students may change quickly based on direction from the Governor, Ohio Department of Health, and/or Madison County Public Health.
Guiding Principles for Reopening
- Plan to meet the educational, socio emotional, and physical needs of all students by designing and implementing high quality and flexible learning options;
- Protect the health and safety of all students, staff, and individuals visiting our schools by following best practices and adhering to state and local guidelines;
- Implement efficient, adaptable, and cost effective methods for operating the school district;
- Support staff and parents in adapting to new or sudden changes to the educational process;
- Plan for effective communication and collaboration efforts of stakeholders during planning and implementation.
Although our district plan is still very much being developed, it is safe to assume that it will have several options from full on campus instruction to fully online learning with a blend of options in between. Which option is in place will likely be influenced by how widespread infection rates are in Madison County and the trends in our student and staff attendance rates.
As part of our planning process, we will be asking for your opinions, suggestions, and help. The first ask is for current district parents to complete a quick survey in order to provide feedback on eLearning during the 4th quarter and family plans for the start of the 2020-2021 school year. Please take a few moments to complete this Parent Survey.
It is a goal of the district to provide an update on our planning process every two weeks over the summer to help keep our students, families, and community members informed. These updates will be pushed out through district communications including final forms, our district app, posted on the website, and through social media.
A special thank you to our students, families, and community for your understanding and support as we finished last school year and look to plan for next year.