Planning for College
When and What to do:
- Learn about college requirements and explore your career choices. What are your goals? Are you involved in extracurricular activities?
- Identify the type of college you are interested in – two-year or four-year? What are their entrance requirements?
- Take the PSAT at school in October.
- Meet with the college reps that visit London High School.
- Take the SAT and/or ACT at least once during your junior year.
Seniors – 1st semester
- Continue to meet with college reps as they visit LHS.
- Do you need to retake the SAT/ACT?
- Apply to your “choice” colleges. Do you have all the necessary paperwork? Is there an essay to submit? Are you sure of the deadlines? Let the guidance office know when you have submitted an application on-line so that a transcript can be sent.
- Check frequently in the guidance office for local scholarship information.
Seniors – 2nd semester
- Now that you have been accepted to colleges, it’s time to focus on comparing financial aid packages. Consult the financial aid office at each of the institutions that have accepted you.
- Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1.
- Continue to check in the guidance office for local scholarship information.
- Confirm your final decision and decline other admission offers.