The London City School Board of Education met on Tuesday, September 10th for its regular monthly meeting. The Board began the meeting by recognizing representatives from various District Support Organizations. Representatives from the LHS Academic Boosters and the LES and LMS PTO’s were on hand to receive certificates of appreciation for their work in supporting district students. In addition, representatives from the Friends of Martha Gieb were on hand to present the Academic Achievement Boosters with a check for $4,000 to be used for academic scholarships. The donated monies were raised during the annual cruise in, which is held in July to honor the late Dr. Martha Gieb.
During his superintendent’s remarks, Superintendent Kramer updated the Board on the following topics:
- Student enrollment for the year has stabilized and is up district-wide approximately 60 students;
- The district plans to continue to educate the public on the upcoming levy and is planning to produce informational flyers, which will be distributed at community events and mailed to all district constituents in October;
- Only one certified candidate is on the ballot for two open Board of Education positions this November. Dr. Kramer provided the board with a copy District Policy 0145, which details how a Board vacancy will be filled. This December, the Board will likely ask for interested parties to submit a letter of interest to the Treasurer. The Board will then initiate a selection process with the anticipation to appoint an individual to fill the open two (2) year term during its organizational meeting on Tuesday, January 14th, 2020.
Highlights of other Board action taken during the meeting:
- Accepted with thanks a donation of weight equipment from Elite Fitness;
- Approved annual overnight trips for the following groups:
- 6th Grade to Camp Nuhop Outdoor Education Center March 25th-27th;
- 8th Grade to Washington D.C. May 12th - 15th;
- FFA to National Convention to Indianapolis October 30th - November 2nd
- LHS Spanish Department to Spain in June 2021
Recognized the following as District Support Organizations for the 2019-2020:
- LHS Academic Achievement Boosters;
- LHS Music Boosters;
- LHS Athletic Boosters;
- LMS PTO;
- LES PTO
Minutes of each meeting are approved the following month and then posted here. The next meeting of the Board of Education will be on October 8th beginning at 6:30 pm in room 311 of London High School.