Patrick McLene established the community of London in 1811 on land owned by John Murfin. It is unclear why residents named the town London. Many people believe that residents, many of whom were from Great Britain, named the town after London, England. Other people speculate that residents named the community after the London Company, which surveyed the land.
London grew slowly, having only 297 residents in 1840. By 1846, London only contained two churches, a private school, eight stores, and one newspaper office. Over the next several decades, London’s population grew dramatically. This growth was partly due to the completion of two railroads that passed through the town. By the late 1850s, London became a center of livestock auctions, attracting people from across the United States. In 1880, 3,067 people resided in London, with approximately one-third of these people being school-aged children. The number of town residents increased to 3,292 people by 1890. In 1886, London contained four newspaper offices, seven churches, and two banks.
Today, London is a growing city of approximately 11,000 residents and serves as the county seat of Madison County. It remains strategically located at the western edge of Metro Columbus. London has experienced continual, modest population growth throughout its history. While London serves as a bedroom community to Columbus, it is also home to several large employers including Stanley Electric, Nissen Chemtec America, and Madison Health. Agriculture has played an important role in London's past and conitnues to be important for future success.